Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestras
Announcing JSYO Clay County Site!
The Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestras have partnered with Wehner School of the Arts to provide a Clay County site for students seeking involvement with the youth orchestras. For information about Clay County Site programs and auditions CLICK HERE.
Founded in 1993, the Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestras (JSYO) enroll more than 300 young musicians between the ages of 7 and 21, who are admitted through competitive auditions.
These six large ensembles will enable the JSYO to serve the needs of all our talented musicians with individualized, ability-specific instruction. As music programs are scaled back in the public schools, the JSYO has filled the void by offering enriching orchestral instruction often missing from First Coast schools. The JSYO is privileged to have a team of professional conductors and coaches that guide the young musicians with quality musical instruction, improving their skills and maintaining high standards. Music Director and Principal Conductor Scott Gregg has been at the helm since 1995, and the JSYO’s talented and dedicated team of conductors also includes Judith Steinmeyer, Rocky Di Georgio and Marj Dutilly.
The JSYO performs several major concerts during the September to May season - a Fall concert, Holiday concert free to the entire community, and Spring concert. The season culminates with a joint performance with the Jacksonville Symphony at the Major/Minor Concert, bringing teachers and students to the stage together for a side by side performance. Winners of the JSYO Young Artists Competition have the privilege of soloing at this concert. In addition, our programs present chamber music concerts and appearances throughout the community and various appearances throughout the season.
The JSYO offers the following opportunities:
● In-depth study of classical repertoire
● Direction by professional conductors
● Exposure to nationally recognized soloists through their affiliation with the Jacksonville Symphony
● Coaching sessions with Jacksonville Symphony musicians
● Outreach performances in the community
● Chamber ensemble training and performances
● Young Artists Competition
● Performances in the internationally renowned Jacoby Symphony Hall
Participating in the JSYO teaches discipline and teamwork. Young musicians also learn the value of hard work and gain self-confidence through the polished performances they give. The JSYO not only enriches the lives of their musicians, but also enriches the cultural life of the First Coast community through their many performances and outreach to children’s hospitals, schools, museums and other community organizations and events.
● Philharmonic: $499 (includes fee for 3-day retreat)
● Repertory Orchestra: $399 (includes fee for day-long retreat)
● Premiere Strings: $399 (includes fee for day-long retreat)
● Encore Strings: $349
● Foundation II Strings: $349
● Foundation I Strings: $349
● Foundation II Strings (Clay County): $279
● Foundation I Strings (Clay County): $279
Financial Aid & Scholarship Opportunities
Limited financial aid is available to help defray the cost of JSYO tuition courtesy of the Jacksonville Symphony Guild, the Jacksonville Symphony Association and various other benefactors. Tuition discounts are available for multiple siblings and Jacksonville Symphony musician families.